Dia de los Muertos celebration returns to Playhouse Village
The Playhouse Village association and Mercadito Monarca carry on the cultural tradition of celebrating Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) with a free one-day event on Sunday October 24, 202, from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
By News Desk
The Dia de los Muertos celebration at Playhouse Village brings together visual and performing artists, educators and the local community to honor and celebrate those who have passed away. This vibrant, entertaining and cultural experience will take place at two outdoor venues:
- Arcade way
696 boul. Colorado East.
– See Arcade Lane transform into a beautiful Mexican Zocalo featuring dance, music and poetry performances to commemorate the lives of those no longer with us. Join a procession led by Danza Azteca Yankuititl featuring Aztec dances and traditional costumes. Mexico City’s Folklorico Danza Artes ballet group takes you through Mexico with a mix of each state’s traditional style, colorful repertoire, and amazing tap steps. The local poets of Flor y Canto present their original work of poetry and oral creation.
– The headliner of the day is popular entertainment group La Junta Los Angeles.
– Enjoy face painting, arts and crafts, story time, and shopping from craft vendors.
– Watch chalk artists create masterpiece murals or play some of everyone’s favorite Latinx game Loteria, moderated by Mr. Pasadena.
- Boston Court Pasadena
70 N Mentor Ave in Pasadena
– Live performances will take place in the parking lot of Manny Giella and his group, and young slam poets from Get Lit.
– Boston Court’s ofrenda, created by local artist Denise Esparza and dedicated to loved ones lost by our community to COVID-19 over the past year and a half, will also be on view in the lobby throughout the afternoon. Guests are invited to participate in this community altar by submitting photos and written tributes to loved ones.
Guests two years of age and older must wear a face mask when entering festival spaces during the entire time of the outdoor event, regardless of vaccination status.
This year, Playhouse Village Association and Mercadito Monarca organized a collection of ofrendas, or altars, located throughout the Playhouse Village and created by local artists and community partners. Discover and learn about the traditions of DÃa de los Muertos on this self-guided tour. Items important to lost loved ones, such as favorite foods, keepsakes, and pictures, are collected and incorporated into these elaborate displays that include sugar skulls, candles, flowers, papel picado (paper cutouts) and other decorations. The Altars Exhibit will be on display at Arcade Lane and throughout the Playhouse Village at various locations from October 24 to November 3.
> Click here for a full list of performances, altar display locations, and more.