Friends of the Log Cabin will hold a clean-up day on Saturday in the Log Cabin Village – Muddy River News
Plans for Saturday include clearing structures and grounds to prepare the village for school visits and an open house scheduled from 1 to 4 p.m. on May 8. | Photo courtesy of Friends of the Log Cabin
QUINCY — The Log Cabin Friends will be hosting a cleanup day from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at the Lincoln-era Log Cabin Village.
The historic log cabin village is on Quinsippi Island Park, accessible via All-America Park. Due to the construction of a bridge over the Mississippi River, attendees should walk down Cedar Street, then turn right on Bonansinga Drive to All America Park. Plans include clearing structures and grounds to prepare the village for school visits and an open house scheduled from 1 to 4 p.m. on May 8.
The group hopes:
- Move the building components of the recently restored/rebuilt 1828 Fraser Log Cabin to the warehouse;
- Sweep and clean the 1838 Hull Log Cabin, 1850 Clat Adams Cabin and 1850 Herleman Cabin;
- Remove windows, sweep and clean 1800s log church;
- Uncover piles of wood and re-stack the wood;
- Locate and fill the holes; and
- Reset 1800’s era railway fence.
Anyone interested in helping should wear old clothes and bring gloves. Gloves and tools will be provided. For questions or to volunteer, email [email protected]