Green has many green spaces for outdoor fun
George W. Davis
GREEN: This town just south of Akron is set to celebrate its 30th anniversary next year, but its history spans over 200 years of history, not always being part of County of Summit.
The city is teeming with a vast array of colorful landscapes, farmland, housing for all age groups, businesses, industries, hospitals and other medical facilities, as well as parks, historical monuments and a popular public school system, as well as private and vocational schools. schools, sports and other recreational programs and complexes.
There is a lot to do without even leaving the community.
Mayor Gerard Neugebauer, who became the city’s sixth mayor on January 1, 2016, and now in his second four-year term, is the city’s tallest cheerleader.
“It’s all there,” he said. “The Town of Green has some of the best parks in the area, great restaurants, top-rated schools, great neighborhoods, and the convenient and friendly Akron-Canton airport to take you to any destination in the world. The world There are so many gems here in Green – I invite you to come and visit.
Green is located in southern Summit County and borders County Stark. The communities contiguous to Green are the Townships of Jackson and Lake in County Stark and the Townships of Coventry and Springfield and the Town of New Franklin in Summit County.
Highlights of history
Certified as a city on April 5, 1992, then Ohio Secretary of State Bob Taft after the Summit County Board of Elections reported the community had over 5,000 registered voters in the 1991 general election , the city flourished.
It has grown from a rural agricultural and coal mining area to a diversified commercial and industrial center that also has several residential areas, including independent seniors’ residences and assisted living facilities, as well as wellness centers.
When Green was formed and organized in 1809 as Green Township within a 34 square mile radius, the territory and neighboring community now known as New Franklin were placed in Stark County. That changed about five years later when Green Township moved to Summit County as part of the southern border with Stark.
As settlers arrived and made their living as hunters and trappers, the majority settled in five hamlets: Greensburg, Comet, Myersville, Aultman and East Liberty. The land outside the five hamlets became vast tracts of agricultural land and coal. The latter became Green’s second-largest product until its decline in the early 1900s.
Later, the economy slowly shifted from agriculture and mining to small businesses, manufacturing and industries. In 1950, farmers began selling their land to developers for residential development. Small businesses are still a key factor in the city’s economy today, along with large industrial and commercial enterprises.
As the community continued to slowly expand, the citizens on April 6, 1988 incorporated an expanse of 3 square miles as a village. Four years later, the township and village were all included in the present town of Green.
The Green Historic Preservation Commission has designated 10 local historic sites that remain standing today. They include the 20-acre Levi Hartong Homestead in Southgate Park adjacent to Boettler Park at 5300 Massillon Road. The town’s property, built in 1888, includes 15 acres of cultivable pasture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The town rents the complex from Rachel Bellis and her husband, Justin Turner, who farm the land and operate a produce stand with their local crops at the park entrance on Mount Pleasant Road.
Other historic places in the city include the preserved and renovated one-room Lichtenwalter School in Boettler Park. It was built in 1885 off Mount Pleasant Road and National Highway 241 on land currently occupied by Akron-Canton Airport. Lichtenwalter owner Robert Boettler moved the structure to Boettler’s property in 1875.
The school became a local historic monument in 2000, and was then almost destroyed on August 9, 2016 by arson. The building, which had been used by local green schools to teach third-graders what it was like to go to school in the early 19th century, was renovated by the city as a result of the fire and is again used by the district for the children’s learning experience. and the storage of historical documents and preserved memorabilia.
Aultman School at 3431 Greensburg Road, near the Stark County Line, and East Liberty School, located on East Turkeyfoot Lake Road, just west of South Arlington Road, were also spared the wreckage. demolition. To make room for a gas station / convenience store on the corner, the school was moved to 3492 South Arlington, just north of the store. The Aultman Structure has been converted to a private home, while East Liberty is privately owned and readily visible to motorists in South Arlington.
Other sites of historical interest are:
• Residence of Aaron Swartz at 4950, chemin Massillon.
• Henry Heiss’ house at 1261 Steese Road.
• Conrad Dillman’s house at 1480 Greensburg Road
• Greensburg Cemetery at 4890 Thursby Road
• Merestead Farms at 486 East Turkeyfoot Lake Road
The city maintains 13 parks and sports complexes for outdoor recreation, hiking, biking, fishing, relaxation, and walks with family and pets. They understand:
• Central Park at 1795 Steese Road, which includes an outdoor amphitheater for concerts and other programs; a community building for indoor meetings and events; a paddling pool for those who wish to cool off with water jets; a walking track; and areas to sit and enjoy the scenery.
• Ariss Park and Dick Goddard Dog Park, both located at 2520 Wise Road.
• Boettler Park at 5300, chemin Massillon, where many public and private events are held, including FreedomFest and art-A-palooza.
• East Liberty Park at 471 East Turkeyfoot Lake Road for family fun and sports.
• Greensburg Park at 4899, chemin Massillon.
• Kleckner Park at 4855 Thursby Road.
• Kreighbaum Park at 3143 Kreighbaum Road.
• Southgate Park at 5300 Massillon Road (entrance to Boettler Park) and Mount Pleasant Road for a historic view of the historic Hartong property. Watch the crops grow and walk the trails.
• Springhill Sports Complex at 3749 Fortuna Drive.
• Veterans Memorial Park at 1918-1974 Steese Road.
• John Torok community / seniors center at 4224, chemin Massillon.
• Youth sports complex at 2500 Greensburg Road
When it comes to food, Green has its share of great places to dine in or take out, with menus ranging from entrees, sandwiches, sides and pizzas to full menus.
The Massillon Road Corridor (National Road 241) offers many of the city’s delicious treats, from American Italian cuisine Twisted Olive at 5430 Massillon Road at the south end of the corridor to the Bistro at 3459 Massillon Road just off the ‘Interstate 77 at the north end. The Twisted Olive is a 16,000 square foot delight surrounded by the city’s Southgate Park.
Also down the hall is the 35 Brix restaurant in the Heritage Crossing dining and shopping area with a menu to whet most people‘s taste buds. Pav’s Creamery offers frozen treats for all ages.
Other hallway culinary delights are the Ramp at Sandy Beach Marina at 3719 South Main St., where seafood, steak, fillets, and salmon are menu favorites, as is pizza.
However, when it comes to big hits, brothers Frank and Charles Menches of the Menches Brothers restaurant and pub at 3700 Massillon Road stole the show by claiming to have invented the burger.
The story dates back to 1885, when the couple sold pork sandwiches at the Erie County Agricultural Fair in Hamburg, New York. According to relatives, the entrepreneurs ran out of pork at a local butcher, who said it was too hot to cut more pork and suggested switching to ground beef. The fact and with the addition of coffee, sugar and other ingredients, the original dry tasting burgers suddenly became an American hit.
This is why September 18 is often celebrated as National Burger Birth Day. And these days, there are 50 varieties of burgers on Menches’ menu.
For golf enthusiasts, there are four public courses and one private course at Green. The city-owned 18-hole Raintree Golf and Event Center on Mayfair Road is run by the group of golf legend Billy Casper and offers a real test for golfers young and old. The same is true of the 18-hole public course at Mayfair Country Club, as well as Turkeyfoot Golf Course and Chenowith Golf Club.
Also featured are the rapidly growing games of pickleball and disc golf. Both are played at the new facilities at Boettler Park.
Pickleball is a smaller version of tennis with less area to cover and smaller rackets to take on opponents.
Disc golf, which was located in Southgate Park before it was moved to Boettler Park, is played on a specially designed course which has just been completed in Boettler. The discs are thrown in specially designed baskets over a nine-hole par 3 course.
Founded: April 5, 1992
City website: www.cityofgreen.org
School District: Local Green Schools (https // www.Greenlocalschools.org)